Great Grandma's Machine

Great Grandma's Machine

the Stitches I sew soothe My Soul

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Baltimore Christmas

Here it is...all together and ready to be quilted.  Needs to be pressed again as I did some wrinkling putting the berries in the corners... I finished it this am while DH was in the shower. I had a lot of time to get the border done now that DH is recuperating from his surgery.  He spends a lot of time sleeping and healing so in order to not disturb him I spend most of my day downstairs sewing or appliquing or anything that I can do quietly.  I keep the dogs with me and they usually do some sleeping as well.

I'm not sure how I am going to quilt this fella. The picture shows lines on the outside but the inside part it a puzzle for me.  Oh well, it will come to me when I put it in the frame.  I have the binding cut out and ready to go as well.  Wonder how long it will take me to quilt it.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Centre of the Santa Quilt

Well here is the centre of my Baltimore Christmas quilt. I have to put an inside border on will be red, of course, probably about 2 inches wide then the outside border which will be 12.5 inches wide and will have scallops of holly leaves and stars...quite pretty actually . It will take a while to do but then I have lots of time. I don't plan on having this ready for Christmas this year and as far as quilting it goes there are 5 quilts in the queue......DH is wondering if I am going to hoard this one like I do with the rest of a giggle out of that.  Truth be told, with the exception of some extra small pieces  I quite enjoyed the applique.  I will always be grateful to Judy S....a quilt guild member that told me about back basting applique.....she sure opened a world of opportunity for me.  

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Here's Santa!

 Finally, the Big Guy is done.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...just had to  take out a couple of pieces and redo....numbering for steam a seam or wonder under is different that numbering for back basting applique.  Once I took a good look at the order I got it all figured out.  Still have some embroidery to do but that won't take long.  I also want to rouge up Santa's cheeks and maybe a little sculpting around the face for more definition.  Anyway, now I have to resize all the squares and fit them together , add an inside border and then applique the outside border of holly leaves and stars.  I will probably take my time doing that since I will not get this one quilted for some time.  I have four waiting to be hand quilted and one in the frame just screaming out to be finished.

On a lighter note...the face of the doll on Santa's arm is to be embroidered...good thing since now she looks like a demented!

Monday, May 2, 2016

Number 12

Here it is , number I have no excuse I have to start on the "Big Guy"....I have it all traced and numbered and I am ready to go.  The pattern was too big for my light box so I taped it on the patio door and then taped the fabric over that. I panicked for  a second when I had it almost finished and thought I had put the fabric on the wrong side out....had to un tape and check...turned out I did it right, the pattern is traced on the back side of the fabric where it is supposed to be....AND I remembered to reverse Santa so he turns to the left which is the way I want him turned.  Now comes the fun part...choosing fabrics.  Wonder if I have enough  in my stash....   ha ha.....just kidding!

on a side note that yellow ribbon is actually gold.....looks better in person...

Friday, April 29, 2016

I went to the Villa

I had this all ready for the villa before I went.  Each of the rows were done and I had designed the layout to fit them all.  Some of them came from Ontario (bless DD # 1  ) and some came from Alberta(bless DD # 2).  I've written down where each one came from and will make sure it goes on the label.  The only one that I did was the fish one.  I designed that on EQ7 and hand appliqued it.  I must say it was a fun project.  Each strip in itself was fun to do and could have certainly stood alone for a wall hanging  but having a bunch of them made it more challenging to finish.  One of the ladies at the Villa commented  "Boy, it sure has a lot to look at!"  Do you think she meant it was a little
Here's the second project I worked on.  Another crayon quilt. The first one I did went off to my grandniece in Newfoundland...hope she wears it out.  Where this one is going to go is anyone's guess. I think I will practice some more on my machine quilting...I really need to work on that.  Then it will probably go in a cabinet like the other quilts I have no idea what to do with.

For my third pays to have more than one thing to do....I brought my Cathedral window squares to work.  got 8 done. NOw it is time to set it aside and work on the twelfth square of my Baltimore Christmas. I am anxious to get at the "Big Guy"........

Thursday, April 21, 2016

I've been Inspired!

 This past Monday night one of the "Ladies of the Evening" brought in her Cathedral Window to show us.  She's been working on it for a number of years and decided it was time to show us.  Isn't it gorgeous!

Well, it got me inspired to get my rear in gear.  I've had the background fabric for months now and just put it aside while I decided just how big I wanted to make my 'windows'.  I finally decided on making them 2 inches which meant that I had to cut my squares at 8.5 inches.  I've cut them in batches of four to fit each square and here are two of them ready.
They finish up at 7.5 square which means that I need around 144 of these squares.  When I calculated the amount of background I needed I realized that I am a bit short...Off to the fabric shop today to make sure I can get some more of the background that I need.  I forgot just how much fabric is needed to make a Cathedral Window. If I cannot match the background I may have to consider a much smaller quilt......gadzooks!!!