Sunday, October 21, 2018

Challenge Accepted!

This beauty is one of my favourite quilts.  I hand pieced it and hand quilted it...that is.... the centre of it was the original quilt.  However, at our quilt show a lovely lady purchased it with the proviso that it could be expanded from a queen sized quilt to a king sized quilt.  Well......I had never done that before and even though I promptly said yes, I was not sure that I knew what I was doing.  I had an idea how to go about it and as soon as we got home from Boston, I set about enlarging it.

First, I took of the binding....carefully since I no longer owned this quilt.  Then I attached 12 inches of fabric all around the backing by folding back the front and batting and sewing it on....it is the blue of the front ...even though the original backing is a beige to brown shade(couldn't find anymore of that fabric).  Then I folded back the backing and batting and attached the front borders.  I decided to add a slightly darker shade of turguoise than the larger border...three borders in all...two inch, two inch and 6 inch.....I mitered them for a more aesthetically pleasing finish. Then I folded back the backing and front and carefully attached more batting using that wonderful silk like tape that works wonders with attaching batting.

I then put this great big quilt into my Hinterberg frame , just using the front rail and the second rail. I used a lot of pins and pulled as tightly as possible and hand quilted the rest of this big blue baby.  Guess what! it Worked! I just had to put it on my bed and take a picture.  Look at how big it is on a queen sized bed.  It is now 108 by 108...a big girl for sure.  I just hope the lady that bought it is as pleased as I am with it.  I really hate to part with it. I knew it would garner interest because it is stunning when hung out full sized.....ain't nothin' like a scrap quilt. Anyway, it goes to its new home today. I will miss it.. oh well......I could always make another...it's not like I don't have some extra material.....LOL!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Great job.....Looks wonderful

Unknown said...

Great job,Gail as usual ,Sure the new owner will love it as much as you do.

Lorette said...

Awesome job... congrats