Thursday, October 20, 2022

This is another "Shoebox" or Orphan quilt. I made the mistake of choosing brown to outline some of the squares. I found them too dark when I put them on the design wall so I chose some lighter fabrics to try and tone it down. Not really sure if I succeeded. Then I played around with the quilting....again practising more ruler work.

As to the maple leaf.  It is a pattern that I lucked into on the internet. It interested me in that it was a play with shadows in red. I think I chose the wrong background. It was also a good lesson in how to layer the pieces so that they came together properly.  I usually number the pieces so that I can join them correctly and this time I didn't...should have known better.  Which is why I think I will do the maple leaf again using a different background and paying attention to the proper order in appliquing them.


 I also did something different this time. I went to Walmart... and bought a cotton flat sheet 180 count to use as a backing.  I never would have done that if I was hand quilting since the weave is too tight  but for machine quilting I thought I would give it a try.  It seemed to work very well...actually a little heavier than regular backing. Since I am giving these Chemo quilts away using flat sheets may save some on my pocketbook.

No comments: