Friday, May 14, 2010

Chinese Checkers?

A couple of you asked about this quilt...where I got it and if you could have the pattern. Here's the skinny. ..... I found a picture of a quilt among hundreds of pics taken at quilt shows over the years. The construction intriqued me so I decided to draft the pattern. I do have EQ6 but am not as proficient as I would like to be so I dug out the old 1/4 inch graph paper and started using those skills we were absolutely certain we would never use in high school and drew up my templates. The angle is 60 degrees...after all it is a hexagon, and the triangles are equilateral. You will notice that the triangles are added at the half way point (same colour) and continued on the other half of the colour to the right of it. The "checker " star is pieced together with a background hexagon. I ended up by adding two strips on the sides to widen the quilt as I found it too narrow, I prefer queen sized quilts around 90" x 90". The finished border is more triangles and of course, all scrappy. I like to make quilts by hand now. There was a time when I was machine piecing 8 to 10 quilts a year(hand quilting them, though) and I had way too many. So I tried hand piecing and found I really like it, now I am down to 2 - 3 a year and that works out just great. If you want more information leave your e-mail address and I will try to answer any question you have.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I think the colors are wonderful and bright! I have never tried hand piecing or quilting, but I would like to. I imagine it makes you take life a little slower.

Shay said...

Sigh...that is seriously beautiful.

Does this require algebra because I still cant work out how a2 +c3 = mc2.

I used tohide out a lot in the toilet block during maths class.

Your quilt is still stunning . I cant stop staring.

janet said...

Wow, that really is exquisite, thanks for all the info.!

Love Of Quilts said...

Truly beautiful! Trish

Barb said...

It is just beautiful!!

Funoldhag said...

That is a beauty!! All I can say is "WOW"! You also know your stuff when it comes to drafting out patterns. Carol

Elizabeth said...

That is really beautiful. I love the colors! What an amazing work of art. Thanks for sharing.

Ranch Wife said...

Oh my! Stunning! I am completely intimidated by that pattern and to think that you handpieced it! I'll save your post and ask questions when I am no longer a new quilter! Take a bow please because that is worthy of a standing ovation! Just lovely!

Sheila said...

Hello - this Chinese Checkers Quilt reminds me of the games we used to play at my Granny's. I would love to do one some day. Were you ever stationed in BC? My husband's troop had several fellows from New Brunswick. Maybe our hubbies know each other! i'll look forward to reading your blog.

Michelle said...

I arrived at your blog through a shout out from Quilting in My Pyjamas about your Chinese Checkers quilt. Man, she wasn't wrong! That quilt is one of the most interesting quilts I've run across. And of course, it's delightfully scrappy--my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I do love scrappy. How pretty is this quilt. Stunning, very stunning.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Hello, Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments! Your chinese checker quilt is amazing!!!I never seen one like it. I love Rio, She's so pretty and suits the quilt perfectly.