Saturday, February 20, 2010

I'm a Die Hard Hand Quilter

How about you? I'm a die hard hand quilter...have been since I started quilting 30 odd years ago. I tried some machine quilting on wall hangings and miniatures. They turned out ok but I just wasn't as happy with the finished product as I am when I take a hand quilted project out of the frame. I guess I am not as proficient on the machine as I would like to be. I even contemplated buying a long arm just so I could finish more quilts each year but had to face reality. I like to quilt by hand.  About 6 or 7 years ago I did my first hand pieced quilt top...a double wedding ring (scrappy, of course). Prior to that I would have run screaming if anyone suggested piecing a quilt by hand but now I absolutely love to piece by hand. Matter of fact that is all I do now is hand piece quilt tops. I do machine piece the occasional project but I don't get that same sense of accomplishment. I truly admire all the quilters out there that are making so many beautiful quilts that really come alive with the machine quilting. I have seen some quilts that were extraordinarily  well quilted by machine..there are some talented women (and men) doing great work. Call me old -fashioned, I'll probably continue hand quilting and just accept the fact that it is MY thing.

3 comments:

GailM. said...

I've never hand pieced a quilt. I wouldn't know where to start. I wonder what would be a good small scrappy project to start with. Any suggestions. I love how those hand quilted leaves look on your hunters star.

Janet said...

Welcome to blogging! I love hand quilting too but hand piecing not as much as you but I have done it. I'd love to know more about frame quilting. I couldn't reply to you when you visited because you don't have an email in your profile.

Love Of Quilts said...

I'm in awl of your hand quilting.I hand quilted one quilt it took me about 3 years to finish.I was working then but I still have never wanted to try another.Your work is very nice....thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment.God Bless Trish