Saturday, October 18, 2014

made a decision

As you know from the previous post , I put my Whoo Knows quilt in the frame to be quilted. I wasn't totally sure how I was going to quilt this one. It usually comes to me before I frame it and I mark the design before installing it. This time, however, I let it sit in the frame for a while and just kept glancing at it as I walked by , hoping something would occur to me.  Finally, I decided on lines or piano keys if you wish.  Then I decided that I wanted something curvy in the dark border so I got out my trusty quilting tools.  You know, the ones that cost a fortune in the quilt shops....wink ! wink !


These are the ones I mean....that is a lid from a mason jar ...well the pencil cost a bit..it's a Fons and Porter white lead marking tool...worth every darn penny I spent on it, too. I was just going to outline the leaves and let it go at that but some of them are too big to not quilt ..the other option was 1/4 inch inside but that didn't really appeal to me...hence the "ribs"...now they look like leaves.  It's a little slow going as the borders usually are but once I get this side done it's owls all the way...heaven only knows how I'll quilt them.  Stay tuned....

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Love the curved lines in the dark border. That 'tool' is a good one too. Your quilt in the frame looks interesting. We pin the top fabric too but it looks like yours is just pinned to the frame from the backing. I'd love to see how you put a quilt in your frame.

Linda H said...

Love it Gail! I think we all struggle with coming up with ideas of what design to quilt.. hate it when all you get on a pattern is "quilt as desired"... that's not much help, is it? Love your curves in outer border, "containing" the lines/piano keys. Might copy your idea some day... with your permission of course! :)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Gail, you always bed up with the perfect quilt design