Thursday, August 1, 2013

Looking back

 DH and I are in the process of renovating our laundry room. It had those wire shelves that everything falls through and I don't like.  Since he is a handyman extraordinaire, making changes is not such a chore for him.  Mind you, we've been in this house for 4 years so I guess that 'honeydo' job is a little slow in coming.  This is my doorstop....I painted it in my tole painting days...I'm one of those people that gets a little obsessive about crafts...doing just one is never enough.   Mama raccoon and her babies have held door open for many years and I still like it.

 Hard to take a picture of your camera strap when it is already attached, but here it is ...it's reversible and a lot more comfortable than the leather strap inside it.
Here's the other side...polka dots....
 Here's DH making changes for me...such a sweetie.  You can't see it well here but that is wainscoting beneath the chair rail....kind of country looking...suits me to a tee....

 This is my design wall...showing the top I am putting together for a Victoria's Quilt.  Such a wonderful program and I'm sure every one of us knows someone that could benefit from these quilts. Once I have all the pieces together I will add borders to bring it to the 50 X 70  size they request.  Then I'll make a tote bag and send it along to the wonderful ladies in Moncton that quilt them.
These are not what you think they are.....nope they are not drug bags...no sirree! ..they are sachets of Balsam fir. I picked the spring tips in June...dried them well , sewed muslin bags and stuffed them with the dried tips.  They smell like Christmas and last forever....a nice colonial craft carried over for generations.. I will make outer covers, probably with Christmas embroidered motifs and maybe some crazy quilting. I plan on selling them at the next quilt show and sale we hold here in Sussex. You'll just have to come and smell them....you won't believe how wonderful they are.

P.S....I have some that are over 10 years old and smell as great as the day I made them. They are in drawers and closets.

2 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

I like Mama raccoon and her babies. I have a little heavy black iron turtle I use for this.
The quilt is cute and something I would be able to make. I want to ask why you called it a Victoria's Quilt. Just curious.

GailM. said...

I can't wait to smell!!! Do you have an approx. date for your quilt show.

Are you going to Cambridge Narrows next weekend. I'll be there around 2 on Saturday afternoon and probably a few of my friends..